The best THICK, CHEWY & DENSE brownies you can make without eggs or dairy! This recipe uses just simple pantry ingredients and tastes as good as one from bakery!
Finally! Yes it took a total of 3 months and 7 attempts to get these right. Can you believe? Well if you have been following, you might know that I am not really into vegan cooking or baking and just the thought of baking without eggs scares me! But so many of my lovely readers have been asking for more vegan recipes so I knew it was time!
I got such a great response on my Sinfully Fudgy Brownies and so many of you emailed asking for an eggless version. It took me 3 months (!!), so many failed attempts, mood swings and at points I felt like giving up baking entirely! I mean how can I not even make descent brownies without eggs was the question I would ask myself everytime I would throw away a pan of undercooked, seriously gross looking vegan brownies.
Just yesterday I told Ronak, that looks like I am just not meant to bake vegan and after that I left the cooked pan of brownies which I was sure will be horrible as the last 6 batches and moved away! At night I thought atleast I should cut it and try out a piece and to both of our surprise, guys, it tastes JUST LIKE REAL BROWNIES!
And I have used just simple basic pantry ingredients to make these – no dates, no walnuts, just real butter, flour and sugar and loads of chocolate chips! 😛
I made some unsweetened apple sauce but you can totally use store bought! If you make at home, then just peel and chop few apples and add water and simmer until apples are softened through. Blend and that’s it! You can add cinnamon, vanilla but I like to keep it plain for brownies.
Making these brownies is just one bowl task. In a bowl, add butter, sugar, salt, cocoa powder and ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips. Melt this mix over a bain marie, which means that basically just heat some water in a pot. Once it comes to boil, place the bowl with the above ingredients over it and continue to stir until it starts to all melt.
Once it’s hot and everything is melted, take it off the boiling water bath and keep aside. Let it cool for 3-5 minutes. Once warm, add apple sauce, vanilla extract and all purpose flour and stir until it’s all evenly mixed.
Fold the remaining ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips into the batter and bake in a already greased and lined pan.
I made these in a 9″*9″ pan for seriously thick brownies which I love.
What are you thinking?! Go ahead, get baking!
- ** Make sure that you use all VEGAN ingredients if you have vegan allergies.
- 1 stick unsalted vegan butter , soft room temperature
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp white granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup apple sauce (store bought or homemade, to make at home - just take 2 apples, clean, peel and chop. Add them in a pot with 1 cup water and simmer until apples are completely cooked through and all water has evaporated. Puree)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325F and move the rack in the center.
- Line a 7*7 inch baking pan with parchment paper or aluminium foil with a little overhang so it's easy to pull out the brownies once cooked. Grease it with little oil.
- In a bowl, add butter, sugar, salt, cocoa powder and ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips. Melt this mix over a bain marie, which is basically just heating some water in a pot. Once it comes to boil, place the bowl with the above ingredients over it and continue to stir until it starts to all melt. It should somewhere around 3-5 minutes. Don't worry of the sugar is not melted. You just want to make sure that butter and chocolate is melted and everything is mixed.
- Once it's hot and everything is melted, take it off the heat and keep aside.To it add apple sauce, vanilla extract and all purpose flour and stir until it's all evenly mixed.
- Fold the remaining ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for around 35 minutes first. I suggest checking the batter at around 35 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out really wet, keep baking for another 5 minutes. Check again and if its still little wet, bake for another 2-5 minutes. I found that everytime I bake, it takes around 40 mins to bake .If it's almost dry with only few crumbs getting stuck to the toothpick when inserted in the center, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely and I mean it. DO NOT TOUCH THEM FOR ANOTHER 4 HOURS.
- I know it's hard but seriously it makes them taste amazing!
- Once completely cooled, cut and enjoy. Enjoy just like that or enjoy with some homemade chocolate sauce and ice cream!
Recipe adapted from my SINFULLY FUDGY BROWNIES.
Some more treats for your sweet tooth ->>