A simple yet stunning, just 5 ingredient Avocado Lemon Cake makes for a perfect summer treat! No Butter, No Oil yet super soft, this cake is a breeze to make and great for guilt free snacking!
Simple cakes or simple recipes are my weakness and since my blog is all about simple recipes, this cake is a perfect example of how cooking/baking can be from scratch yet can be still quick and loads of fun! I have always loved use of avocados in baking and since they can be easily used to replace conventional fat in baking, it makes them one of my favorites! Few months back I made this CHOCOLATE CAKE with no butter but instead used avocados!
When Kaveri told me she is working on an avocado lemon cake, I was like I want it for the blog! And here it is, thanks to her! This cake is a beauty. Simple clean flavors, a delicious lemon icing and such gorgeous pictures – your mouth is watering too, right?! 😛
In Kaveri’s words :
You look at avocados…interesting, inviting, you buy them and don’t touch them for another 2 days…they are now over ripe…you end up making a dip (Sound’s familiar?!). Then you have an idea and you want to make something innovative with this healthy ingredient!
Who would have thought that you can bake a cake with avocados, they add so much moisture to the cake that no butter or oil is needed ! And look at that lovely natural green color….. a taste so unique you have to try it and it is so easy !!
Indeed. I already baked a batch just now and waiting for it to cool down!! Go ahead & give this seriously simple cake a try!
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup ripe avocado (about 1 ½ avocados)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Few pistachios to garnish (you can use other nuts too)
- Preheat oven to 170 ºC (~338 F) and grease a loaf tin.
- Beat eggs and sugar together with an electric beater until light, fluffy and doubled in volume for about 5 minutes.
- Take another bowl and mash avocado well so that it is smooth and silky.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add together with the mashed avocado in the sugar egg mixture. Fold gently, scraping down the sides of the bowl to mix thoroughly.
- Pour into the loaf tin, even out the surface and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Insert a skewer/knife into the center and if it comes out clean, then the cake is done.
- Allow to cool completely before taking out of the loaf tin.
- Pour icing when completely cool.
- Mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until you have a firm but smooth icing.
- Use a knife to smear onto the top of the cake and sprinkle over crushed pistachios.
Some more delicious AVOCADO recipes ->>