Under 15 mins Indian spiced puffed rice mix with peanuts and crispy curry leaves! Perfect tea time snack!
With cold weather my consumption of snacks increase at an alarming rate. While working, I keep drinking cup after cups of hot teas or coffee and there are times when I miss my lunch (Shh don’t tell Jerry!). This is when snacks like these – super quick to make, easy, involving almost no work and high up in the deliciousness department happen!
This puffed rice snack mix has been my favorite since almost forever. I grew up eating this and tons of varied variations my mother would make for us to nibble on. Compared to usual packets of potato chips, this is a much healthier option and it’s so crunchy and crispy that it won’t let you miss those fried snacks at all. The good part – it uses very very little fat in the making.
I quite forgot about this for some time and few days back while cleaning, I saw a big box of puffed rice which I haven’t used for the last 2 years!! I knew that I needed to make a big batch immediately and in under 15 minutes I had a big delicious snack for myself.
With Diwali only a day away, I am getting a bit homesick and missing my mom’s delicious treats. I am missing everything about being at my parent’s place for Diwali. So I am planning on making some treats myself and if they turn out good, sharing with you guys too!
This snack! Seriously it will brighten up your days!
- 4 cups puffed rice
- ½ cup unsalted raw peanuts
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil or any other cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 15-20 curry leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mean while Heat oil in a deep pot on medium-low heat. Add peanuts and saute them for 2-5 minutes until crispy.
- While peanuts are getting crispy, place the puffed rice in a baking tray and pop it in the oven for 4 minutes. Stir the puffed rice around at about 2 minutes.
- Take out the peanuts in a bowl leaving the remaining oil in the pot only.
- To that leftover hot oil, add mustard seeds. Make sure the gas is on medium-low. Once mustard seeds start to pop, take the pot off the gas. Add salt, red chilli, turmeric powder. Bring it back to the stove at low heat. Add curry leaves and cook the spices for few seconds making sure they don't burn. Add peanuts and puffed rice. Turn off the gas and keep stirring it until all the puffed rice gets coated with the spice mix.
- Let it cool and then store in an airtight container. It stays good for upto a month.
You can play around with the seasoning too.
More Simple Snack Recipes: