Super easy stove top method to make shredded chicken at home in only few minutes.
Today is not about any particular dish but a technique or rather a simple method to cook chicken to turn it into shredded chicken in only few minutes. I like to keep chicken on hand most of the time but there are days we end of eating no chicken for almost a week and so I like to freeze it. But I have realised frozen chicken breasts are always required to be thawed before I use them in any meal so I find keeping frozen shredded chicken a wonderful time saver as I can add it directly to soups, enchilada fillings and what not.
Possibilities are endless. I know there are lot of ways to make shredded chicken more flavorful by cooking it slowly over a period of few hours in slow cooker or oven and I have done it myself with wonderful results. But this methos to cook it in a pot with water or your favorite broth on stove top in straight 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked beats every method! So easy and is a lifesaver when you are short on time but still trying to make a comforting home cooked meal.
Help in spreading the word!
- 1 pound chicken (I usually like using chicken breast but you can use thighs or whole chicken)
- Water or broth, enough to cover the chicken
- Pinch of salt if using water
- In a pot, heat water or broth. Add chicken pieces and make sure they get submerged under water or broth.
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes or until chicken turns pale white inside and out.
- That means it;s fully cooked but you don't want to overdo the simmering part too or it will leave you with chewy chicken.
- Take it out. Strain and using two forks shred the meat.
- Store once cooled in ziplock bags or airtight containers.
- I like to write the date on top as well so I know when I made it.
- It lasts for 2-3 days in refrigerator and upto 1-2 months in freezer.
Looking for some ideas to use shredded chicken you just made?