This lentil & rice bowl is packed with vegetables which your picky eaters can’t detect as they get all mixed while cooking and all you get is a delicious, comforting bowl of goodness served with chilled cucumber yogurt! Meatless meal at its best.
Hello #meatless meal day! Though it’s not monday but can we declare thursday another meatless meal day, please? This bowl is PART#2 of my one pot lentil & rice bowl which I had posted a while back. But don’t be fooled. The flavors, the texture are entirely different yet equally or even more yummier and since this is my mom’s recipe, you know it’s a WINNER! Mother’s recipes are ALWAYS ALWAYS the best. No questions!
It’s funny because a while back when I was posting my one pot lentils & rice with spinach yogurt, I wasn’t sure if people will even like it. I mean it’s something we make quite often around here and making these sort of meals is second nature to me. I was raised eating lots of different sorts of lentil & rice & chapati meals and apart from being super easy & healthy, they are comforting to me and remind me of my childhood. I wasn’t sure until I got your response and realised that you guys love #meatless meals when served with lots of flavors & a tangy yogurt side!
Yesterday I got the best comment from a reader and it simply made my day. An AWESOME reader named Zarah commented on this and it goes like this:
“So amazingly GOOD! Thank you! This will be a regular in our dinner rotation. <3”
And as if this wasn’t enough, she went ahead and made my day even better and wrote this on another favorite meatless recipe of mine as well “Sweet Potato Quesadillas” : “Looks so good I am almost hungry again even though I just ate (your one-pot lentils & rice with spinach yogurt. Oh My Yum!!). Will definitely try this!”
Comments like these makes me keep going and improving day after day at what I do and love my job even better with each passing day! And while these motivations help and make me want to do this 24*7, I will admit that there are days when I plan to do absolutely nothing and tomorrow is going to be one of those!Are you excited for OITNB?!!
A bowl of this and netflix is in my near future!
Help in spreading the word!
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter plus additional for drizzling on top
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 green chilies, chopped ( this made it spicy so if you want less spicy, I suggest adding only 2-3)
- 2 medium sized red onions, thinly sliced in half moon shape
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 potatoes medium sized, chopped in cubes
- ¾ cup fresh/frozen green peas
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped in big-medium size
- 1.5 cups basmati rice, cleaned in water and rinsed
- 1 cup moong dal (split green gram with skin removed. You can find these easily in all major grocery stores or in Asian stores)
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp garam masala (optional, this turned out pretty spicy so I left it out but if you want you can always add some)
- ½ cucumber, washed and grated (you can peel the skin or leave it on. It's upto your preference)
- 1 cup yogurt (I used 2% fat)
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1-2 tsp chaat masala or 1 tsp roasted cumin seed powder (you can simply roast cumin seeds and grind them. It is wonderful when added in yogurt, on vegetables)
- In a pressure cooker or pot, add ghee. Once hot, add cumin seeds and let them splutter. To it add onions, green chili and ginger paste and saute on med-low flame for around 5 mins. Now add potatoes & green peas and saute for another 2-3 mins and add cauliflower & turmeric and stir around. Step by step sauteing helps in making sure each vegetable is nicely infused with the flavors of the spices.
- Now add 1 cup cauliflower and saute for another 1-2 mins. Add cleaned & rinsed rice, lentils along with 5 cups water and salt to taste. Stir it around. Taste and adjust salt.
- If cooking in a pot, bring it to a boil and cover and let it simmer on med-low while keeping an eye and stirring it occasionaly so it doesn't stick. You might need to add more water if you feel the lentils & rice are not cooked yet and still has a bite.
- If cooking in pressure cooker, cover the lid and cook on med heat and let it blow whistle 2-3 times. Let it release all the steam before opening the lid.
- Serve with chilled cucumber yogurt and store bought papadams if you wish.
- For cucumber yogurt, simply mix all the ingredients & taste and adjust salt & chaat masala or cumin powder to taste.