A perfect snack for anytime anyday! Crispy potato lentil fritters with boiled baby potatoes smashed and coated with delicious Yellow moong dal batter and fried. Super simple yet such an addictive snack or meal!
Growing up in a small town in Uttar Pradesh in India, I have memories of eating these from stalls. You can find stalls selling these bites of heaven at every corner though with times, peoples taste buds have changed but I can’t go without eating them when visiting home which as I write this, I miss so terribly as I haven’t able to go see my parents thanks to this pandemic.
If you are scared of frying , don’t be. This is one SUPER SIMPLE recipe where you need just few ingredients : baby potatoes (or larger potatoes cut into smaller size), moong dal, salt, chaat masala, black salt, green chilies, ginger and oil for frying. Serve it along with green cilantro-mint chutney and chai for a perfect cold weather treat!
So go ahead & give this a try! If you make these or any other recipe from our blog, do tag us by using #naivecookcooks on Instagram.
I have a SHOP PAGE on AMAZON STOREFRONT where you can find tons of items from KITCHEN, FOOD ITEMS, KIDS/BABY TO HOME STUFF I absolutely love and use on regular basis! Hope you check it out and find it useful 🙂
- 1.5 cups yellow moong dal ( moong lentil)
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2-3 green thai chilies or as per taste
- Chaat masala
- Oil for frying
- Rinse moong dal in a fine mesh sieve under running water until water turns clear. Soak it in a bowl with water covering it overnight.
- When ready to cook wash baby potatoes and boil until fork tender. Drain and keep them aside.
- In high speed blender jar, add rinsed dal (make sure to drain out all the water), ginger and green chilies. Blend until almost fine consistency ( little coarse is totally fine).
- Take it out into a bowl.
- To the grinded dal add salt, black salt and mix and taste.
- If you are using baby potatoes, smash them slightly and then generously sprinkle chaat masala over each of them.
- In a deep heavy bottom pot, heat up oil. Drop a tiny piece of potato to test if oil is hot enough for frying. If the potato comes up immediately oil is ready. Keep the heat to medium to medium low. Dip chaat masala coated potatoes one by one into batter and slowly and carefully add them into hot oil.
- Make sure that the gas is on medium to medium low so they cook evenly. It will probably take like 7-9 mins for them to cook until golden brown. Serve immediately with fresh chutney and loads & loads of chai! Bliss!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS FOOD ->>
THIS THICK CRISPY BOTTOM PAN PIZZA is a must try! ( Make it #desi style and eat along with the best PIZZA CHUTNEY)