Easy under an hour Tortellini bake : dinner recipe that you can assemble a day before and simply bake at dinner time!
Don’t you just love it when you know you got something already assembled in fridge for dinner time? Atleast I do. Lately I have been trying out some make ahead/plan ahead sort of recipes to make dinner time a little bit easier & it’s been working like a charm!! Yippee ??
I mean I feel so relaxed come dinner time cause I know what we are going to have and the best part is that it’s not something that I threw together in a hurry but since I planned it earlier I made sure it’s good for us too! Last night after eating healthy meals in a row we were craving something little indulging and so I decided to put my make ahead dinner recipes to good use! This recipe, you will love this! It is so packed full of flavors and we ended up eating almost 2 servings each. Ooops!! ?
This is like an easy pan lasagna. Here instead of lasagna noodles, I used 3 cheese tortellini (but if you don’t want to use tortellini, you can easily use pasta of your choice!). In one pot I boiled tortellini while I worked on the sauce in another pot. Then they are just mixed together and dumped in a baking dish and cheese is added on top and baked. Now if you are making it ahead like I did, instead of baking, cover and refrigerate. An hour before dinner time pop it in preheated oven for good 40 mins so it’s heated through!And serve with good crusty garlic bread! ALWAYS!!
And leftovers are great for lunch too!?? Can you notice the creamy herbed ricotta cheese resting in all it’s glory on a bed of creamy cheesy tortellini!! Yes told you, it’s that good!
- 3 cups 3-Cheese Tortellini or pasta of your choice (There is a link for the brand I use always, after the recipe)
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 cups canned tomatoes or tomato puree from fresh tomatoes
- 1 tsp oil
- 1.5 tsp basil leaves crushed (dry form)
- ¾ tsp parsley leaves crushed (dry form)
- Red chili flakes to taste
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- ¾ cup skim ricotta
- ¼ cup asiago cheese shredded plus extra for shredding on top
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp basil leaves crushed (dry form)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add about a tbsp of salt and add the tortellini. Cook as per package directions!
- Once cooked, drain and add few drops of oil and stir so pasta doesn't stick together.
- Meanwhile, in another pot add oil. To it add garlic & onion and saute for 3-5 mins on med-high heat. Add bell peppers & pinch of salt and saute until cooked halfway around 5-7 mins. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5-7 mins. Now add the tomatoes along with salt, basil, parsley, chili flakes, rosemary, red wine vinegar & ketchup. Mix it all together and let it cook on med-high flame. Taste and adjust salt & other seasonings. Cook it for 10-12 mins until some liquid is evaporated but you still ant good amount of liquid since you are going to bake. Or it will be really dry.
- Now once sauce is ready, add cooked pasta/tortellini to it and stir. Transfer this to a parchment paper lined baking pot.
- Now in a bowl mix all the cheese ingredients : ricotta, asiago, salt, pepper, basil & garlic. Mix and taste.
- Spread this on top of the tortellini and plus add some extra asiago shredded on top. Bake at 400F for 40 mins covered tightly using aluminium foil or if making for later, place in fridge and bake before dinner time!
More Pasta Recipes: