Love eating classic Digestive Biscuits dipped in a cup of tea? Then try my Easy Chocolate Digestive Biscuits made using just 9 simple ingredients! A treat that makes you feel good!
It’s finally Friday friends and I have 2 reasons to be really excited about the coming weekend!
A. It’s finally 2 days to relax, do nothing, watch Jungle Book (It’s out finally!!) and eat!
B. This is what’s going to make this weekend extra special ->> it might be snowing here!! We are expected to receive snow starting today and lasting until Sunday and you know what that means. I am going to be living on THIS.
And I also made us some treats to keep us going. We both love eating digestive biscuits and lately we have been buying Belvita a lot so I realised it was about time I perfect a whole wheat biscuit recipe at home that is easy, needs just few ingredients & atleast there is no spammy ingredient! Start to finish these digestive biscuits take under an hour and if you want to make them a little extra special, make sure to smear them with your favorite chocolate! Makes for such a delicious afternoon pick me up.
I had no idea that making whole wheat digestive biscuits is so easy. So let’s jump on to step by step recipe!
Gather all your ingredients ->> milk , chocolate chips, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, oats, baking powder and coconut & salt (I forgot to add these two in the picture).
Grind oats, flour, sugar and coconut until coarse.
Transfer this to a bowl and add small pieces of cold butter along with salt & baking powder.
Mix using hands to incorporate butter in the dough until you get a mixture that resembles a granola with small clumps.
Now add milk starting with 2 tbsp and working your way up. Mix until you get a tight dough. But don’t overmix!
Now lay a parchment paper on your work surface. Place dough on top and cover with another parchment paper and roll to upto 1/4″ thickness.
Using a cookies cutter, cut round shapes.
Using a flat spatula, transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Pre heat oven to 350F. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges start to get brown. Cool on the baking tray for 5-10 mins and then using a spatula transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. Melt chocolate and smear them with melted chocolate.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup dry shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed (1 stick)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a food processor, grind oats. flour, coconut and brown sugar until a coarse mixture is formed. Transfer it to a bowl and add small pieces of cold butter or you can even grate the cold butter. Add salt and baking powder and using hands mix until the mixture resembles a coarse granola with clumps. Now slowly add milk starting with 2 tbsp and mixing gently until it forma a stiff dough. I ended up using 3.5 tbsp milk but it will depend on where you live.
- Now lay a parchment paper on your work surface and place the dough ball on top. Cover with another parchment paper and roll it to ¼" thickness.
- Cut circular shaps using cookie cutter. Gather the leftover dough after cutting shapes and repeat. Transfer to a lined baking sheet using a flat spatula so cookies don't break.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges start to get golden.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5-10 mins and then cool on cooling rack.
- If doing chocolate version, melt chocolate. Bring water to a boil in a pot. Place a glass bowl on top making sure that the bottom of glass bowl is not touching boiling water. Place chocolate chips in glass bowl and melt.
- Smear cookies with melted chocolate!
This recipe adapted fromHERE.
Some MORE snack recipes ->>