Simple ONE POT MEAL – this Curried Egg Rice is packed with TONS of flavors, makes for a comforting delicious meal.
First recipe post of 2018. So much has happened over the last few months – getting pregnant, having a baby, moving to a new place with lots of firsts.
So without wasting time in chit chat, lets jump to today’s recipe. This recipe is bomb dot com, so much flavor but SUPER EASY to make. Just few simple ingredients make this into something you won’t be able to stop eating. Since I learnt how to cook this, I have already made it twice in a week.
First a curry is prepared with tomatoes, onions, spices, boiled yolks and raw eggs. Then to this sliced boiled whites are added along with cooked rice. Everything is mixed gently and served with a generous sprinkling of green garlic.
See told ya? Super duper simple! This is a recipe I learnt from my aunt recently. When I had it for the first time I knew that I have to learn it and share with you guys as it is so so good. Once the raw eggs are added into tomato onion paste, it turns into a gravy consistency and everything is cooked on super low flame so the eggs don’t cook into scrambled eggs. They just cook on super low heat so they are safe to eat but stay in gravy form. Then sliced egg whites and cooked rice is added and everything is mixed together and served.
This goes into my favorite recipes for sure – just little prep needed ahead of time and it all cooks in ONE POT which is always a big plus as less dishes to clean! Hope you try this and if you do remember to share your pictures with me!
- Curried Egg Rice:
- ½ cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 boiled eggs, peeled
- 4 eggs, raw
- 4 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 heaping tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp green chili paste or as per taste
- 2 tbsp green garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder or as per taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garam masala
- For Tempering (Chaunk/Vaghaar):
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- Curried Egg Rice:
- Boil 2 eggs. Once cool to touch, peel them. Cut then in half lengthwise and take out the yolks. Now cut the boiled white parts in thin long slices. Keep aside.
- Also chop onions, tomatoes and green garlic (is using) . Get garlic and green chili paste ready.
- Boil rice until fully cooked. Once cooked transfer it to a large plate/tray and let it cool down.
- Once you have everything ready, proceed with the recipe.
- In a deep non stick pot, add oil. Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them start sizzling. Now add garlic paste, green chili paste, green garlic (is using) and stir it around. Add finely chopped onions and pinch of salt and stir. Cook on medium heat until onions get translucent say 3-5 minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes to it. Take a hand held masher and start mashing up everything so everything starts to get into a chunky gravy sort of consistency. Add boiled yolks and mash more until yolks are incorporated into it. You are done with masher.
- Add salt, red chili powder, black pepper, garam masala and mix . Now add sliced white boiled egg and mix it. Make sure to turn your gas to the lowest setting. Add all 4 raw eggs and start mixing them into the gravy. Since the gas is at lowest setting, eggs won't curdle but they will still keep cooking with the heat and will be safe for eating.
- After 3-5 minutes of stirring the gravy, taste and adjust any spice if need to.Add cooked and cooled rice and mix gently until rice is mixed with the gravy.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes on lowest setting.
- Turn of the gas and make tempering. In a small pot, heat oil. To it add cumin seeds and dried red chili until they start to sizzle.
- Add tempering over the curried egg rice. Serve. This is a great filling meal on it's own but if you want you can also serve it with some fried eggs on side or a big salad.
Some other SUPER SIMPLE RECIPES to try ->>
ONE POT “Fish Paella”
30 MINS ” Ranch Chicken & Guacamole Quesadilla”